Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Why Haiti? The Earthquake, disaster and the need to help.


Why Haiti? So many ask me this question about my projects and reasons for pushing so hard for Haiti. Why anywhere? It could be Bosnia in the trying times or any country where the population is moving to have the same opportunities as others. I didn't choose Haiti. Sometimes things come, fall into your way and you make a way for things to happen. Haiti came into my course and I'm so much better for it in so many ways. I am privileged and understand the privilege I've had the ability to act upon. I could have been born anywhere, to anyone, but was born here, raised with many advantages. I've had many challenges, lived in many places, some good some not so much. I understand that when much is given, much is expected. This is why. I'm not Haitian. I could be from anywhere, born at any moment. Do we know from one day to the next if we'll still have the same privilege.

The earthquake in Haiti is disheartening on so many levels. We have the opportunity, have had the opportunity to do something, something big. If we do, if we uplift our neighbors, our brothers and sisters it will have an effect that will resonate across the globe. I recently gave a speech at the Miami Dade County reception for Haiti Independence month. Mayor Alvarez gave the key to the County to both Haiti Ambassador Raymond Joseph and Jimmy Jean Louis last Friday. I gave a gift bag to Jimmy Jean Louis on behalf of he Miami Dade Film Office and a speech about Jimmy's contributions and my love for Haiti. Ambassador Joseph said something in his speech that took me by surprise. I knew it already, but it didn't register fully until that moment. Haiti was the second Independent nation in the Western Hemisphere. After Haiti, many nations followed. Many nations were helped to independence by Haiti including the United States. Battles in Louisiana, Georgia, even Chicago. In the Revolutionary war no less.

So we have another opportunity to do whats right. My heart and soul goes out to my friends and family there and here. I have given a lot for Haiti and will continue to do so. Why, because Haiti has given so much, needs less than that which has been given so freely and is a country that is in my heart and soul. What will we gain, we will gain the strength, spirit, soul, minds and determination of a nation that has helped so many. Here's a few organizations doing something now and a message I was sent a short while ago:

Nou Sove

Hollywood Unites for Haiti (HUFH)

Pan American Development Fund (PADF)


World Vision


In the wake of news that an unprecedented 7.0 earthquake has hit the already impoverished land of Haiti, we call on humanity to lend a helping hand. The earthquake has struck just 10 miles from the capital of port-au-prince, where an approximate 2 million people reside. Officials are already branding this a catastrophe of major proportions. A not for profit organization, Pwoteje Timoun is calling on you for your help. We are not only asking for donations of food and clothing but also of physical persons willing to travel to haiti to volunteer their time and effort to help those most in need. In the midst of this untimely disaster, the people of Haiti need your help, help not only for basic necessities such as food, clothing and water,but also your helping hand to clear roads of rubble, and to assist in finding members of family households that are missing and trapped under the rubble. We can not do this alone. Any and all assistance is welcome. Your help is needed immediately. The next few hours after this disaster will be critical.

FT. LAUDERDALE DROP:Donations can be dropped of @ Pwotege Timoun, 11911 NW 32nd Manor, Sunrise, FL 33323 where boxes will be set up for donations of non perishable food items and clothing. We are organizing a group of people to go to Haiti as early as Thursday. If you are able to volunteer your time please contact Gathy Brutus. I can be reached at gathy.brutus@gmail.com or (954) 829-2636.

MIAMI DROP: Haitian American Youth of Tomorrow (HAYOT), 1348 NE 147th Street, Miami, L 33161. Contact: “Teacher” Carline Paul for more info at (305) 509-2313 or hayotinc@aol.com or teachcarline@aol.com.



I, alongside many other Haitian nationals have not made any contact with our families in wake of the earthquake, but we pray for their safety. In the meantime, we come together and organize to bring help to those in need.

Do not fear my people of Haiti, help is on the way!!! God Bless...

PLEASE PASS IT ALONG
THANK YOU

--
Gathy Brutus
Pwoteje Timoun/Protect the Children, Inc.
(954) 829-2636
gathy.brutus@gmail.com

No comments: